Plum Grove Awarded for Environmental Efforts
Governor’s Pollution Prevention Award
Plum Grove is a proud leader in green-friendly and sustainable printing practices. The Illinois Department of Natural Resources honored Plum Grove with the Governor’s Pollution Prevention Award, the state of Illinois’ highest award for businesses that help environment. The award recognizes organizations who have implemented outstanding and innovative sustainable techniques or technologies, demonstrating a commitment to sustaining our environmental, social and economic health.
Our 20-Point Program
Plum Grove uses a 20-point program to reduce waste and increase sustainability throughout all aspects of production.
- 100% of our paper purchases are from paper companies that harvest trees from decades-old tree farms specifically planted, harvested, and replanted to provide an ongoing source of non-public paper pulp. These tree farms not only ensure a sustainable, ongoing paper supply but also assure the land they use will remain undeveloped commercially.
- Our plant is powered using 100% renewable wind power.
- We offset 100% of our paper use with donations to the Nature Conservancy to protect old growth forests.
- We recycle tons and tons of paper every month. Frankly, it is a lot of work and effort, with a buy-back revenue stream that covers only a small fraction of the cost. That’s OK, though, because we believe in its importance to our planet.
- We use an enormous selection of quality recycled paper stock.
- We use biodegradable inks and toners that are recyclable.
- We invest in chemicals and solvents that are almost 100% water soluble, biodegradable, and recyclable.
- We have implemented programs to reduce our electrical consumption and to minimize the use of raw materials.
How You Can Help
One important way we urge clients to partner with us in our environmental efforts is by using our online ordering, proofing, and re-ordering system. This enables all of us to save gasoline during travel and other raw materials.