A premier internet service provider (ISP) delivering service in rural, hard-to-reach areas, wanted a new way to reach potential customers. The service performed well in local markets via word of mouth. They reached out to the experts at Plum Grove for guidance and solutions to reach their highly targeted audience in remote areas.
Rural customers seeking internet service have limited or no access to the internet, so Plum Grove developed a direct mail marketing campaign to help the client reach their audience.
Key demographics and locations were identified that most closely resembled the core client base. The marketing strategy entailed the following tactics:
- Targeted “look-alike” communities based on current clients
- Created mailing lists for the target communities
- Designed and printed an 11″ x 5.5″ full-color jumbo postcard
- Printed personalized variable data referencing the recipient’s location
- Bulk mailed the postcard for postage savings
The client saw a dramatic increase in internet subscribers in the areas of the mailings. With more than 100,000 pieces mailed, customer acquisition costs were below $100 per client. The client expanded the program by targeting additional “look-alike” communities nationwide.